Does anyone remember Raisin Markets in Southern Calif.?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Does anyone remember Raisin Markets in Southern Calif.?

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

I was wondering if anyone remembered the old Raisin Markets Grocery Stores in Southern Calif.? I remember them before Alpha Beta Markets bought them out. I remember that they seemed to mostly be free standing stores and not in shopping centers or strip centers. The one thing that I remember most is the center layout of the store. The aisles on the grocery store went one way until you got about 1/3 of the way inside and then the aisles changed direction. It was kind of like shopping in a small version of a maze. When Alpha Beta Markets bought Raisin Markets their stores were doing approzimately $150,00 or more per week. Remember that this time period was in the 1950's and at that time that was great weekly sales volume because at that same time some of the Alpha Beta Markets were only doing $20,000 to $30,000 per week in sales. Then Alpha Beta Markets changed the Raisin Markets to become a copy of Alpha Beta Markets and along with the change also came a drastic drop in both store sales and volume. They should have taken a better look at Raisin Markets and tried to determine why their stores had been doing so well and learned from them and then instituted some of their store operating procedures into the Alpha Beta Markets organization. You can learn from anyone even a company who had been one of your competitors but alas Alpha Beta Markets shot the old Raisin Markets sales down and down and down.
Let me know if anyone remembers any ot the Raisn Markets.

Thanks, Wayne Winterland Jr.