Is It True Fred Meyer Dropped the MY-TE-FINE Brand in 1987?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2013
Contributor

Is It True Fred Meyer Dropped the MY-TE-FINE Brand in 1987?

Post by StoreLiker2013 »

Is it true that Fred Meyer had dropped the "MY-TE-FINE" brand in 1987, when their main logo also changed? I want to think that last time they used the marque prominently, the graphic I'm referring to (often in two-tone blue; I remember their ice cream used other two-tone color schemes, such as a brown variation for chocolate and a pink one for strawberry) was used around 1968.

Even so, the MTF marque was at that point de-emphasized, only seen alongside the quality control blurb.

~Ben
Attachments
il_340x270.188093642.jpg
il_340x270.188093642.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
311747866681.jpg
Super S
Veteran

Re: Is It True Fred Meyer Dropped the MY-TE-FINE Brand in 1987?

Post by Super S »

That sounds about right. We only occasionally shopped at Fred Meyer when I lived in Boise, which had only opened a full-line store a couple years prior and at that time was still operating two former Grand Central stores without food departments. I moved to WA in 1988 and remember the name was not on most food items when I first visited the Longview Fred Meyer (which seemed like a time warp of sorts as I was surprised they were still using mechanical cash registers at that point) The logo was present on Fred Meyer trucks for a few more years though on the back roll-up door, but I haven't seen one of those in quite some time now.
StoreLiker2013
Contributor

Post by StoreLiker2013 »

Super S wrote:That sounds about right. We only occasionally shopped at Fred Meyer when I lived in Boise, which had only opened a full-line store a couple years prior and at that time was still operating two former Grand Central stores without food departments. I moved to WA in 1988 and remember the name was not on most food items when I first visited the Longview Fred Meyer (which seemed like a time warp of sorts as I was surprised they were still using mechanical cash registers at that point) The logo was present on Fred Meyer trucks for a few more years though on the back roll-up door, but I haven't seen one of those in quite some time now.
I know, too, since as I said before (in my original post) the marque was reduced (de-emphasized) to a seal of quality on the back side of the products being sold, which simply said Fred Meyer on the front and sides.

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2013 wrote:
Super S wrote:That sounds about right. We only occasionally shopped at Fred Meyer when I lived in Boise, which had only opened a full-line store a couple years prior and at that time was still operating two former Grand Central stores without food departments. I moved to WA in 1988 and remember the name was not on most food items when I first visited the Longview Fred Meyer (which seemed like a time warp of sorts as I was surprised they were still using mechanical cash registers at that point) The logo was present on Fred Meyer trucks for a few more years though on the back roll-up door, but I haven't seen one of those in quite some time now.
I know, too, since as I said before (in my original post) the marque was reduced (de-emphasized) to a seal of quality on the back side of the products being sold, which simply said Fred Meyer on the front and sides.

~Ben
I was pretty much agreeing with what you said. I am not 100% sure, but it seemed like the MY-TE-FINE brand did linger on some nonfood items for a little longer. Something like paper towels, paper plates, boxes of matches (like in the picture) Of course stuff like that could be made in a large batch ahead of time and had a longer shelf life. Later on, I saw an older version of the Fred Meyer logo appearing on something similar (I think it was a package of rubber kitchen gloves) several years after they went to the current logo.

Fred Meyer seems to gradually be moving to just using the Kroger brand on private label products these days, but for a while they were rebranding the Kroger products as Fred Meyer.