What is the oldest Safeway in operation?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: What is the oldest Safeway in operation?

Post by Groceteria »

There's also a pylon-era store at 3550 Fruitvale in Oakland that might be as old or older than Market Street, but I don't have an opening date for it. The store has been expanded, but the original box is still there:

https://goo.gl/maps/A8uCSb5G3xvBXEj38
Grocery Buff

Post by Grocery Buff »

Could this Marina in Lovelock, NV be a contender? Definitely not the oldest location but it’s facade is one of the oldest ones I’ve seen.

https://goo.gl/maps/McgEvfTAtDGGS6hh6

400 Dartmouth Ave,
Lovelock, NV 89419
bm10k
Contributor

Post by bm10k »

In the Seattle Division, I think it would it be the Holly Park/New Holly
Store on S. MLK Way and Othello. From What I've Read That store
opened in the late 40's
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The Soviet Safeway on 17th Street at Corcoran in DC is probably a contender. The facade was remodeled at some point--probably the 70s judging from the arched style and the 17th Street storefront may have been expanded at some point. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Corcoran Street side was expanded into an adjacent store front because the store address is actually Corcoran even though the entrance is on 17th. Safeway kept a lot of stores going that had originated in 1920s storefronts well into the 70s and kept some fairly intact 1940s stores into the '90s and '00s and this could have been cobbled together from either era.

The Columbia Road Safeway also has old bones and dates at least from the 50s and could easily be even older.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The 17th and Corocoran store surprisingly is a mid-1960s (specifically 1966, I think) replacement for a store across the street (where McDonald's now is) that originally opened as an Acme. The Columbia Road store does date from sometime between 1948 and 1954. It has been greatly expanded. There was also originally a Giant Food to its left, where the CVS now is.
rich wrote: 24 Feb 2021 09:16 The Soviet Safeway on 17th Street at Corcoran in DC is probably a contender. The facade was remodeled at some point--probably the 70s judging from the arched style and the 17th Street storefront may have been expanded at some point. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Corcoran Street side was expanded into an adjacent store front because the store address is actually Corcoran even though the entrance is on 17th. Safeway kept a lot of stores going that had originated in 1920s storefronts well into the 70s and kept some fairly intact 1940s stores into the '90s and '00s and this could have been cobbled together from either era.

The Columbia Road Safeway also has old bones and dates at least from the 50s and could easily be even older.