Family Dollar Emerick St Ypsilanti MI Closing (former A&P)

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

cammers1995

Family Dollar Emerick St Ypsilanti MI Closing (former A&P)

Post by cammers1995 »

The Emerick St family dollar at the infamous gault village plaza is being shut down soon. This is a former A&P location. According to employees at the store as well as a construction worker stripping stuff off the former farmer jack/value foods building, the entire plaza will finally be demolished in the next couple months.

While I'm sad to see this strip mall demolished it's about time. It's in VERY bad shape. The value foods/farmer jack roof has completely caved in.

https://imgur.com/oDPr7Lf
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Family Dollar Emerick St Ypsilanti MI Closing (former A&P)

Post by Andrew T. »

I know exactly where this is...I paid a visit when I was in the Detroit Metro a few months ago. It was absolutely incongruous to me that Family Dollar hadn't yet closed: It was the only thing open in a sea of ruins. Fascinating place, if a bit depressing. The shopping centre itself dates back to 1967 or earlier, and A&P closed in January 1982 when the company withdrew from the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti market.

"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
cammers1995

Re: Family Dollar Emerick St Ypsilanti MI Closing (former A&P)

Post by cammers1995 »

Currently there are about five businesses left. Family Dollar, a cash advance, a Chinese restaurant, a Chinese laundromat and a GED testing facility.
The cash advance is still next door to family Dollar while the other few stores are in the very far wing right next to where Kmart used to stand before it was demolished. The Kmart side of the building seems to have faired a little better than anything past the value foods while the a&p side seems to be the worst of the strip. The value foods roof being so bad seems to have set off a Domino effect because everything from the value foods going toward family dollar is in terrible shape including the family dollar and cash advance.

The cash advance and family dollar don't seem to have roof problems like the rest of the strip but are both falling apart in other aspects.

The front of the former ACO and Hollywood video stores are completely chainlinked off right now awaiting demolishing. They finally removed the Hollywood video sign recently too, the last one I ever seen still hanging on a building.