Sentry Division Super Saver Foods

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

9thStreetRedOwl

Sentry Division Super Saver Foods

Post by 9thStreetRedOwl »

I'm looking for some background information on Super Saver Foods (of Wisconsin). From what I can tell, it was a brand owned by Sentry/Fleming Companies, but there is otherwise very little information available on the internet.

My only experience visiting one of these stores occurred in the late '90s at their Appleton location at 3169 Van Roy Rd. (near College Avenue). The store had a short run as a Super Saver and then converted to Sentry before closing. It is now a Planet Fitness.
Google Street view below: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ph48MP1d27PBC1zc8

Does anyone know how many Super Saver stores existed at their peak and how long the brand was in use? I'd really like to see some photos if anyone has them, as well.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Sentry Division Super Saver Foods

Post by Andrew T. »

When I researched Manitowoc's food store history (many) years ago, the 1990s-era Sentry at 1140 S. 30th St. was listed as "Super Saver" in some directories. I didn't think much about this at the time: I assumed it was just a pseudonym for Sentry/Fleming's operating subsidiary, not a name that ever literally appeared on the stores. But I wasn't living in Wisconsin in the 1990s, so my understanding could have been wrong.

The Super Saver name makes a couple of fleeting appearances in David's Milwaukee table, too. There's also a past thread for general Sentry discussion.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
9thStreetRedOwl

Re: Sentry Division Super Saver Foods

Post by 9thStreetRedOwl »

At least in the case of the Appleton store, it had a completely different logo (blue and red, if I recall) and it seemed like they downplayed their connection to Sentry, but that was all so long ago that my recollection may be a little bit fuzzy.

The store had more of a warehouse feel to it, while Sentrys of that era were definitely much more upscale. I'm not sure if this was a Fleming-owned store or if it was a franchise. The Nemecek family owned the other Sentrys in Appleton.