Remaining (Last?) Acme A Frames

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Remaining (Last?) Acme A Frames

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Not sure but I think these Acme A Frames are the last in the chain, one for each state they still operate:

1. Upper Darby, PA (opened 1963 in shopping center, heavily expanded/remodeled)

2. Clayton, NJ (stand-alone, has latest Acme pylon sign color scheme)

3. Chestertown, MD (part of shopping center, remodeled 2000s, but original lights are intact)

4. Trolley Square (DuPont Street) Wilmington, DE (rare A Frame to get 1970s front, but no expansion/Super Saver, now has current logo)

And as I said before, the last original 1970s Acmes might be in Northwest Philadelphia; Oxford, PA; Fallston, MD; and Pike Creek (Hockessin), DE.

Plus the Sharon Hill, PA; Bryn Mawr, PA; Penn Valley/Narberth, PA; Dresher, PA; Maple Shade, NJ; and Fairfax, Wilmington, DE stores are all in their original 1950s buildings. Did I miss one?

The Newtown Square, PA store was a rare late 1950s one with a unique logo until a couple major expansions/remodels in the last 15 years.

Note Acme once had A Frames and other stores in Central PA, New York, and Virginia too.
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Remaining (Last?) Acme A Frames

Post by maynesG »

Hi, You missed Stephensville MD. as a 70!s store. You missed St Michaels as a early 50!s store and Prices Corner as a 1959 built store. Also Pike Creek Acme is not in Hockessin, The Hockessin Acme is.
Also, I worked in the Chestertown Acme and the renovation took place in 2,006. The
original renovation in the late 80!s. In the 80!s the Produce wing was added by moving into and adjacent paint store the eastern wing from and adjourning store. The Bakery at that time
and original Iced Seafood Case ( Used from a closed Baltimore Store) .
The Butcher Block Department was added in 06 from cutting down the meat room and the new Deli was expanded from were the Old Seafood case was built.
I have a picture of myself and the other department managers taken at the time of the grand reopening. As ugly as I am people still showed up to shop! A hearty lot in Chestertown!
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

No kidding. I had never even heard of that town. This store looks very small for a 70's one along with the closed ones in Havre de Grace and Cambridge. Also note the closed Mount Carmel and Coal Township stores in the Wyoming Valley of PA.

But I hear Acme has a 1954 store in an old house in Haddonfield, NJ. They brought back the script logo! This is not to be confused with the Haddon Heights/Audubon store which was an A Frame, and is now a CVS. The CVS may itself have killed the Eckerd across the street which lasted less than a year.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Stephensville is located on Kent Island MD. Acme built this style store all over the place.
They were enough store for places like Kent County De or Kent Gounty Md , where there
weren!t a lot of people. Ten years latter and they were expanded in places like Elkton, where they were doing heavy duty volume.
By the way are you sure that Pike Creek was and A Frame? I worker there many times and was under the impression that it started out with the same model as Stephensville. Its b remodeled so many times and expanded so much that It would be hard to tell
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

No, Pike Creek was like a larger version of Stevensville.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, and thanks. Yes Acme built two versions of this style store one larger for high population areas and one for smaller more rural areas. I simply think that it lacked the charm of the A Frame. But you are limited to how wide you can build one, before the structure becomes unsafe.