Possible Food Fair/Pantry Pride

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Possible Food Fair/Pantry Pride

Post by Ephrata1966 »

There was an Acme at 116 E. Glenwood Ave. in Smyrna, DE that looked a lot like the Pantry Pride in Vineland, NJ. They are both long and narrow buildings. There was a peaked-roof Acme across the street that relocated here, and the second one is an unfamiliar Acme design. It might have also been a Super Saver. The store moved again around 2005 to a store in the same parking lot. On top of that there was what looks like a 70's A&P in this parking lot, now a Roses discount store.

So, all in this one plaza, these supermarket names have existed (I think):
1. Food Fair
2. Pantry Pride
3. Acme Super Saver
4. Acme
5. A&P
6. Super Fresh
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Possible Food Fair/Pantry Pride

Post by maynesG »

Hi, Actualy , The current Acme building in Smyrna is only five years old and was expanded only last november. Prior to that row stores stood on that site and were knocked down. The twin to this store exist in Centreville MD and was also built as a replacement store.
The Colonial that is now a Roses, was a Super Fresh that closed only a few months before construction began on the Acme. This store was a replacement store for the older colonial at the far end of the lot which also was a replacement store for a free standing 1940!s A&P, that is currently a GoodWill store located off a side street Downtown and has a small parking lot. Acme, also had a downtown location prior to the A Frame on route 13 and I suspect that it was in the former Happy Harrys location. But there never was a Food Fair in that location or in Smyrna.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Wait a minute. The space at the right end of the lot (now subdivided into Movie Gallery/Dollar General/AutoZone) I could swear was an Acme at some point. When I passed by it, I saw a patch shaped like the Acme oval logo on the front of the building. So this was an A&P?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Correct! The old Acme is the A frame across the street from the current Acme with its back facing Route 13 and is now a church. The brick building you are speaking about was an Aimes, adjacent to the Aimes was and early A&P and the Roses was theat stores succesor.
Hope It Helps