1960's Washington DC Safeway Picture

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Roadsidepictures
Contributor

1960's Washington DC Safeway Picture

Post by Roadsidepictures »

Does anybody know what year this Safeway opened and closed? It's in Washington DC...

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: 1960's Washington DC Safeway Picture

Post by Groceteria »

What a great picture!

If you can narrow down the address a bit, I might be able to find something in the Washington Post archives. I have full-text access to those. Did a quick search on "Blaine House" which seems to be the name in the caption, but found nothing. I'll do some more searches later today when I have more time.

The cars (or what's visible) look mid-1960s.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The location is 20th and P, facing Dupont Circle. Looks like the carcass of the store is still there, but that's about all I've been able to find. The house itself was apparently built in 1881 and suffered a fire in 1891.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The store is under renovation and for many years was a hardware store and bike shop, which relocated to a new development near Georgetown, and not far George Washington University. The house is now known as Kossuth House and occupied by the Hungarian-American Foundation. It's address is 2001 Massachusetts Ave., NW.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

I don!t know any thing about the store but i do Know that the home belonged to former Senator and Secreatry ot the treasury James C Blaine from Maine. Blaine a republican ran for President several times and was a grafter! What a wonderful picture i never saw a Safeway
that small, I wounder if it ran into the basement of the Blaine house
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

Thanks, guys! The picture was taken in 1964/5. It was a pretty small store. I found a shot of the side of the building which was added on to the mansion. I don't know if the store actually went into the house, though. I wonder how long Safeway used that signage? Mid-1950's?
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

I believe Safeway "officially" stopped using the Roman-style lettering, around 1955, when the circle-S and the sans-serif font came into use. It is strange to see both on the same building.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The "circle S" dates from 1956.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I remember older Safeways in Richmond that still had that signage into the 1970's. The ones I remember in particular seemed to have been stores built in the 1940's as the first stores built as Safeways rather than Sanitary Stores.

Though it was before my time, I do remember the lyrics of a campaign song I read about somewhere:

Blaine, Blaine, James C. Blaine
The continental liar from the State of Maine!

Ah, for the good ol' days...
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

rich wrote:The store is under renovation and for many years was a hardware store and bike shop, which relocated to a new development near Georgetown, and not far George Washington University. The house is now known as Kossuth House and occupied by the Hungarian-American Foundation. It's address is 2001 Massachusetts Ave., NW.
I know I'm late for the party; but, I thought the Kossuth House was in a building built in the 1960's but resembled something from about 100 years ago. I am of 1/2 Hungarian heritage and my dad used to take me there ca. 40 years ago while I still lived in the DC area.
Bearhawke in Arizona