A&P in Houston

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966

A&P in Houston

Post by Ephrata1966 » 14 Oct 2009 18:39

Did A&P ever have stores in Houston? I have never seen "centennial" stores there, but since Safeway and Kroger did, just wondering.

krogerclerk

Re: A&P in Houston

Post by krogerclerk » 14 Oct 2009 21:01

A&P had a Dallas division which had some stores in the Houston area, but A&P was a marginal operator in Eastern Texas outside the DFW metro. I believe the Dallas division began to close piecemeal in the early 70's and was gone by 1980. Safeway was a relative newcomer to Houston, arriving in the early 70's around the time A&P began to close stores.

Ephrata1966

Post by Ephrata1966 » 27 Apr 2012 01:06

Apparently there was an A&P at Northtowne Plaza (which oddly enough shares its name with a very similar Norristown, PA center) at North Freeway and Tidwell. Does anyone know which store this is now? I am thinking Big Lots, which was MacFrugal's, but I'm not sure. Or maybe it was the "Fallas" which was a Factory 2-U. Also, this center once had a K&B drugstore, part of a New Orleans chain, and A&P had a large presence in New Orleans until not that long ago. Perhaps a lot of older A&Ps (that closed/moved before the chain left the area) in New Orleans became K&B. I guess the Houston K&Bs closed because Rite Aid didn't want to enter the area.

wnetmacman

Post by wnetmacman » 27 Apr 2012 08:13

Ephrata1966 wrote:Apparently there was an A&P at Northtowne Plaza (which oddly enough shares its name with a very similar Norristown, PA center) at North Freeway and Tidwell. Does anyone know which store this is now?
If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's the store with the Pancho's in it, though it would have been very large for A&P for the time. Pancho's typically invaded old grocery spaces in shopping centers.
Ephrata1966 wrote:Also, this center once had a K&B drugstore, part of a New Orleans chain, and A&P had a large presence in New Orleans until not that long ago. Perhaps a lot of older A&Ps (that closed/moved before the chain left the area) in New Orleans became K&B. I guess the Houston K&Bs closed because Rite Aid didn't want to enter the area.
No. K&B only entered Texas in the extreme northeast part of the state, and only then in the 1980's with a small handful of stores: Longview, Marshall, Kilgore and a few others. Never in Houston. At the time of the Rite Aid takeover, they were only marginally in Lake Charles, about 2 1/2 hours east.
Scott Greer

Ephrata1966

Post by Ephrata1966 » 27 Apr 2012 11:10

Thanks for clearing that up. Actually, I think there was an Eckerd here that moved to the parking lot (and has since been replaced by a CVS), and the old Eckerd in the plaza became a liquor store which bought the rights to the K&B name. A 1997 map of the center I found said "K&B". That was the same year Eckerd was bought by JCPenney, started moving a lot of stores (along with rebranding Thrift Drug and Fay's up north), and K&B was bought by Rite Aid, ceasing to exist. Anyway, I think there might have been a Woolworth here which might be the MacFrugal's/Big Lots space after all. The "It's Fashion Metro" store seen in Google Maps was a Jo-Ann Fabrics until not long ago. And I think it was a Cloth World fabric store until Jo-Ann bought them in 1994. This center had a fire around Christmas 1999, and the Payless ShoeSource (which I think was part of the Anna's Linens building) moved to where it is now. Also, Pancho's (the whole chain) must be gone now. Their website is closed.

proczach
Novice Member

Post by proczach » 20 Jul 2012 13:22

corner of Bissonnet and Beechnut
where the HEB is in Bellaire across from the Randall's that used to be a Weingarten's
Whole Earth Provision company on Shepherd at Alabama
on Post Oak right south of Bellfort where a Chinese buffet is